Inertia by Adam Moorad

She wraps her legs around my legs and makes herself stretch
Now I’m on my face with her arm pressing my skull into soil, or something
I’m suffocating
Her dog brings its ball back
She licks its face
Her tongue presses against mine and I can taste what we are
One of us coughs
We’re so awkward and we think about stopping
She’s on her knees careening
I throw the dog its ball
I string from myself
I hear her laughing
I ask what she’s laughing at
She laughs louder
I ask her if she laughing at me
She coughs and says at something else

Copyright 2009

Author's Bio: Adam’s writing has recently appeared or is forthcoming in Underground Voices, Titular, DOGZPLOT, Thieves Jargon, and Pear Noir! He lives in Brooklyn and works in publishing. Find him here: http://adamadamadamadamadam.blogspot.com/